[14-01-04: Corrected and uploaded the correct audio file… Sorry!]
If you find enjoy this podcast or find it helpful then review us on iTunes. Also, check out our books at SexyFic.com
What’s your most recent release?
H. K. Kiting: The Funhouse
Dean Chills: Forbidden WInter
Episode 15: Book Covers
We’ve talked a bunch about the act of writing itself, but we’ve never touched on one of the most important aspects of your book: The Cover. In many ways, the cover is more important than the contents of your book: it’s the first thing a prospective reader sees, and if they hate the cover, your book has zero chance of being bought.
What should be on an erotic book cover?
- Shirtless men and Fabio clones?
- Half-dressed women
- Faces or just bodies?
Amazon’s UNOFFICIAL rules:
- –Naked female torso including front view or sometimes side view. Side boob inappropriate.
- –Arms or hands across breasts.
- –Naked butt. On one occasion, upper thigh close to lower butt cheek was unacceptable.
- –No naked people in a clinch even if they aren’t “fondling”.
- –Any sexual position that implies penetration (Missionary, doggie-style, etc).
- –No naked characters straddling each other.
- –No handcuffs on wrists. Handcuffs being held is fine.
- –No “O” faces.
- –No nudity.
- –No women on their knees in front of men (as in implied fellatio).
- –No men between women’s thighs (as in implied cunnilingus).
- –No men’s faces on breasts.
Still there is NO official list of rules other than a vague statement that their content guidelines are “About what you’d expect.”
Ways of getting a book cover made:
- Buy a premade book cover
- Hire someone to make a book cover
- Do it yourself
Doing it yourself:
- Tools (Photoshop, Pixelmator, etc.)
- Photos- Taken yourself or purchased from Stock Photographers [Jason’s Mummification]
- Model release (and especially decency clauses)
- Photo licenses and royalties. Not as simple as just buying from a stock site.
We really want to hear from you. If you have a comment, complaint, or topic suggestion, mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by SexyFic.com and leave a voicemail on the tab that allows you to record a message. Be sure to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, and leave a review for the show if you like it.