Episode 8: Romance vs. Porn vs. Erotica vs. Erotic Romance
What is the definition? These are straight from Wikipedia, but we’ll discuss our thoughts as we go along.
- Erotica is any artistic work that deals substantively with eroticallystimulating or sexually arousing subject matter.
- Porn is the explicit portrayal of sexual subject matter for the purpose of sexual arousal.
- Romance novels place their primary focus on the relationship and romantic love between two people, and must have an “emotionally satisfying and optimistic ending
- Erotic romance novels are stories written about the development of a romantic relationship through sexual interaction. The sex is an inherent part of the story, character growth, and relationship development, and couldn’t be removed without damaging the storyline.
There are three main things all these definitions revolve around:
- Sex: In porn, the focus is on the actual sex act itself, while in romance novels, the focus is on the set-up and emotions the characters are experiencing before, during, and after the sex.
- Story: One major difference is conflict: A romance has some kind of conflict, while a porn doesn’t. Is conflict = plot?
- Purpose: Porn is usually intended to excite the reader, i.e. “Get off,” while romance is like a regular story.
- Difficulties separating the categories?
- Necessary overlap
- Can you have romance and porn without sex?
- Let’s Check the mailbag!
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or stop by SexyFic.com to get on our notification list for new releases.
If you have a topic you’d like to hear more about, please let us know. Email either of us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Theme: Everything Is One Thing, Reprise by Al Phlipp and The Woo Team